Getting to & around Luang Namtha
Luang Namtha is accessible by air, land and river. The most popular overland routes to and from the province start and end at Bokeo Province “Laos-Thailand Friendship Bridge 4” and Luang Prabang. There is an international border crossing at Boten (Laos-China) and regular air service from Vientiane on Lao Airlines. For adventuresome travelers, try a journey up the Mekong River from Ban Houay Xay to Xieng Kok in Muang Long, or a 2-day river journey up the Nam Tha River, which also originates in Ban Houy Xay. Once you reach the province, local transport by Tuk Tuk, the bus or a Song Thaew is inexpensive and easy to arrange. For short trips, many people get around by renting bicycles.
- Laos-Thailand Friendship Bridge 4 “Bokeo Province” the public bus two time per day, departure 8:30 AM and 12:30 PM, only 3 hours
- Vientiane-Luang Namtha by Lao Airline, departure daily, only an hours
- Vientiane-Luang Namtha by public bus, departure daily 8:00 AM, more than 20 hours
- Luang Prabang-Luang Namtha by public bus a time per day, departure 8:30 AM, more than 10 hours
- Odomxay-Luang Namtha the public bus two time per day, departure 8:30 AM and 12:30 PM, only 3 hours
- Houay Xay to Xieng Kok on the Mekong River only slow boat, now no speed boat; 2-day river journey up the Nam Tha River have to book with local boatman or local tour agency.
The Airport in Luang Namtha
Located far from the town 5 Km, the plane departure daily 2 per day from Vientiane-Luang Namtha-Vientiane only.
Luang Namtha Domestic Bus Station
Located in the town, the public minivan/bus/Tuk Tuk transport between districts to districts such as:
- Luang Namtha-Muang Sing; 4-5 time per day
- Luang Namtha-Long town; 2-3 time per day
- Luang Namtha-Nalae town; 1-2 time per day
- Luang Namtha-Vieng Phoukha; 2-3 time per day
Luang Namtha External Bus Station
Located far from the town only 10 Km, the public minivan/bus/Tuk Tuk transport between Luang Namtha to other province such as:
- Luang Namtha-Bokeo “Laos-Thailand border”; 2 time per day
- Luang Namtha-Oudomxay; 2 time per day
- Luang Namtha-Luang Prabang; 1-2 time per day
- Luang Namtha-Vientiane; 1 time per day