Trip OverviewExperience the Khmu culture & tradition, taste local meals, learn & practice how to husking rice, black smith, making bamboo basket “bamboo toys such as: birds, frogs, cup…” Khmu traditional Baci-ceremony, sword dance, half day trek through the jungle forest & mountain to learn about nature, wild life, technique for hunting animals & experience local food.
Tour ID: LT-HS-05
Start-Finish: Luang Namtha town.
Duration: 1 night half day.
Departure: 3:30 pm.
Difficulty: Easy, suitable for families.
ItineraryStart at 3:30 PM from our office by Tuk Tuk to the village of Ban Nam Ha along the road A3 for 29 km. We stay overnight at a private home provided by the village. Today you will join & practice some activities provided by small group of community based tourism such as: husking rice by feet or hand, Khmu traditional Baci-ceremony, Khmu sword dance, meet the local people, talk with owner people about village history & go to bed.
In the morning next day. While waiting for the breakfast visit groups of knife making, participate bamboo basket making “bamboo toys such as: birds, frogs, cup…” after breakfast participate in activities of the family depending on the season watch or take part such as:
- January-March: planting vegetables, sowing corn etc.
- April-May: go and learn how to grow rice on mountain-slopes etc.
- June-August: go and learn how to prepare the fields for wet rice & to plant the seedlings.
- September: plant & care vegetable-gardens etc.
- October-November: go, watch or help to harvest the mountain- and the mountain-rice or corn etc.
- December-January: take part in house building & festivals or in collecting food.
Other option after join community based tourism activities. Half day Trek through the jungle forest and mountain to learn about nature, wild life, technique for hunting animals & experience local food.
Khmu Ethnic Group & Ban Nam Ha.
The Khmu or their ancestors probably settled the area of present-day Laos several thousand years ago and are one of the most populous ethnic groups in Laos. Part of the Mon-Khmer branch of the Austro-Asiatic linguistic family, the Khmu are divided into many sub-groups including the Khmu Lue, Kwaen, Rok and Ou, with the majority of Khmu in Luang Namtha being Kwaen or Rok. Like many of the ethnic groups in northern Laos, the Khmu are not Buddhist, but practice their own form of animism.
The Khmu in Luang Namtha generally practice mixed economies, growing rice, hunting, gathering forest products and producing handicrafts to generate some cash income. Because the Khmu are highly knowledgeable about medicinal plants and are highly-skilled producers of woven rattan and bamboo basketry, many Khmu villages are regularly visited by tourists that purchase handicrafts and hire local guides to lead them on forest treks.
Tourism has become a new and important source of income for a number of Khmu villages in Luang Namtha, especially in the villages located on the Ban Nam Ha.
Ban Nam Ha located around 29 km along the road A3 from Luang Namtha-Vieng Phoukha & also located at in the centre of Nam Ha National Protected Area they that we call the name of the village “Nam Ha” & still keeps their traditional culture and way of life.
Nowadays Ban Nam Ha organize Homestay & community based tourism activities, you can stay 1 night or 2 nights get experience the Khmu culture & tradition, taste local meals, learn & practice how to husking rice, black smith, making bamboo basket “bamboo toys such as: birds, frogs, cup…” Khmu traditional Baci-ceremony, sword dance, half day trek through the jungle forest & mountain to learn about nature, wild life, technique for hunting animals & experience local food.
- Leader guide “English speaking tour guide” & Local guide “who knowledge tradition, culture, nature & forest”.
- Covered transport “Local Tuk Tuk”.
- Accommodation “Homestay” stay with family.
- Local meals depend on season.
- Homestay owner service charge.
- Drinking water during the trip.
- Cultural performance, Khmu traditional Baci-ceremony, Khmu sword dance, bamboo-slapping dance & flute performance.
- Learn how to husking rice “by hand or foot”, black smith, making bamboo basket “bamboo toys such as: birds, frogs, cup…”, Half day trek through jungle forest & participate in the day-to-day work of the family.
- Trekking permit & provincial tax on net income.
- Tour ID: LT-HS-05
- Start-Finish: Luang Namtha town.
- Duration: 1 night half day.
- Departure: 3:30 pm.
- Difficulty: Easy, suitable for families.
Bring a small backpack which should contain following items:
- Shoes; a good pair of running shoes are perfect, or even better are the lightweight trekking boots.
- 2 T-shirts (cotton), one short or long pant.
- 2 pair of socks. Sandals, flip-flop (for the evening in village).
- Towel (or sarong), swimming suits, toilet and personal effects.
- Personal prescription drugs, contact lenses, glasses.
- Sun-cream (waterproof), hat, sunglasses. Mosquito repellent.
- 1 long sleeves sweater and pants, or jogging suits.
- Small flashlight, camera and films.
Note: Homestay itinerary is a basic guideline only and subject to change. All homestay are supervised by Luang Namtha Provincial of Information, Culture & Tourism Department (PICTD), Laos Community Based Tourism (Laos-CBT) & Phou Iu Travel & Eco-tours which means all areas are frequented by tourists.
Send email to us email@example.com or Call: +856-20-2239 0195, +856-20-9944 0084.
All our services, we require DEPOSIT to secure reservation. Final payment you have to pay at our office in Laos. We accept PayPal & Bank Transfer.
This tour we request 50 USD for deposit.
Deposit by PayPal please click the button below:
After finish, your process please send email to us firstname.lastname@example.org or Call: +856-20-9944 0084 or if we got the money from you, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Deposit by Bank Transfer: alternatively, we can receive bank transfers direct to our bank account in Laos. Payment details as:
- SWIFT Code: COEBLALA.
- Bank Name: BANQUE POUR LE COMMERCE EXTERIEUR LAO PUBLIC (BCEL).
- Account Name: Philavanh Unlavanh.
- Account Number: 070-120-100-256-502-001 (USD)
More Info: BANQUE POUR LE COMMERCE EXTERIEUR LAO PUBLIC (BCEL) http://www.bcel.com.la